Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Test Painting... Towers

So I decided that my lack of black paint to undercoat things wouldn't stop me being productive...  I've been practising freehand flames but decided that I needed to actually see it on the Emperor.

I started with one of the back towers... it's small and if I screw it up I can always paint it black again.

I'm pretty happy with these and while I know it's ambitious, I know that it'll look killer when the whole theme is completed.

I should reference my tutorial videos for the freehand flames... Airbrush 

Sunday, 27 July 2014

Some initial details

I've been thinking about this stage for a long time.... I've also taken on board some of the comments made about the cannons on the castle section.
So with a little remodelling and a lot of fingers stuck together with super glue... Here are some I initial detailing

I started to undercoat things... But i ran out of black, I need a LOT more black paint... Time to go see my friendly Vallejo paint person.

  You can see I'm adding lots of the spikes over the towers and domes... along with the resin chaos details that I sculpted.  I've also been doing a bit of kit bashing too.

Alterations to the front cannons... the rears can now fire over the top.  I have cool idea for this area, but i'll need to finish everything else first (it's a super final detail)

I've also been working on the fire... still needs more work but here's the current iteration

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Titan Head

I've been away on holiday to my favourite place in the world... the English Lake District.  I don't get a lot of hobby done, but I get a lot of thinking done when i'm out walking

I've also been waiting for some deliveries so I can start to do some detailing... I figured a good test piece would be the titan head

I've started to add some of the details that it needs... you can see the resin chaos arrow/logos and i've also ordered a bunch of these little spikes... which i'll be festooning the titan with.

Yea.. ok, it looks a little 'punk rock'... but to me Chaos = Spiky!

 The original side of the titan head for comparison

As for paint... I have a theme in mind, and as some people already know I have a thing for 'flame jobs'

I originally painted my FW Reaver Titan with 'Hot Rod' flames... this time i'm wanting something a little more realistic so i'm currently practising freehand airbrush flames

1st attempt - this needs a LOT more work before I start on the Titan, but it gives an idea of where i'm going!

Monday, 14 July 2014

Assembly... well sort of

I spent the weekend doing lots of fiddly bits on the Emperor... I've not got many photos taken but in my attempt to keep things updated, i'd post the one that I took late last night

You can see that I've started to add some of the resin details that I cast... there is a LOT more of that to add.  I've also made a head... this is currently my 'working version'.... and could be subject to change.  I have more cannons added to the rear towers and these now properly rotate.  The central tower is also now completed, with buttresses added below the balcony (i'm pretty happy with that overall)

You can also see that I've started to attack the model with liquid green stuff, to fill in all the gaps in the card i'm using to edge the foam-board... this will be a very time consuming task, but will ultimately mean that it looks a lot better in the end!

My main problem at the moment... is what to do with the front two platforms for the castle section???  Every time that I look at it, I can't decide if it needs more towers (like the back) or something different

Until I completely decide i'm going to be working on the details for the top section... and completing the hip section so that I can get it to stand (finally)

The front tower design

for example I could stick to the classic design

Or I could go for something like this with gun emplacements etc... 

Personally i'm gravitating to the middle image... as I have towers at the back and can create gun emplacements for the front

Saturday, 12 July 2014


I've started to think about how i'm going to detail the Emperor... it's getting to that point

The only way to do this in a cost effective way is to mass produce lots of detail pieces in resin and then cover the titan with them.

So... a quick update with some prototypes

Using plasticine I sculpted some Chaos Spikes... you get the idea of scale.  I want to have some large and small details to start with

I am a big fan of resin casting and I frequently use TOMPS to get supplies

Having sculpted the various spikes and chaos logos... I created moulds using the RTV sillicone and then got casting

Initial results... i'm pretty happy with these and will post some more images when i've made more and added them to the Titan pieces

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Castle Section Cannons

Quick mid week post... lots going on, but progress is SLOW!!!

I got some of the laser blasters mocked up onto the central dome of the Emperor Castle section.. to see what they're going to look like...

Needless to say the effect surpassed my expectations...

This is still a work in progress... but when all of the towers get these added i'll reckon it'll look pretty kickass

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel on the castle section... then I plan to do some detailing, which I have hatched a cunning plan for

More later